Sunday, December 24, 2006

Blood Diamond



My classmate from Sierra Leone today invited us to join him to watch the movie - Blood Diamond. The movie is set in the late 90s during the civil war in Sierra Leone. And I must say that I absolutely loved the film. The film is so powerful that it creates a lasting impact. Even as I type here in my blog, I recollect the events in the movie.

As per Wikipedia,
"A blood diamond (also called a conflict diamond or a war diamond) is a diamond mined in a war zone and sold, usually clandestinely, in order to finance an insurgent or invading army's war efforts."

People all over the world appreciate diamonds and admire it for its beauty and clarity. But we just don't know the fight, struggle and war that goes on for this precious stone.

After the movie, my class mater further shared his experiences about how the Civil War had destroyed the country. It was quite painful. My class mate nurses an ambition to go back to his country some day and set things right there i.e create jobs and help the economy. I wish him good luck.

I certainly enjoyed watching the movie and won’t mind it watching again. If I had to say, if there was a movie that I really liked in the year 2006, it had to be this one.

The movie is excellent. Leonardo DiCaprio has earned a Golden Globe Award nomination for best performance for this movie and I won't be surprised if he gets an Oscar for this movie. He is simply too good !

If you want to watch a movie this holiday season, this is the one for you.
Here is a recent article on people at Sierra Leone are relearning diamond mining

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home