Sunday, December 05, 2004

Essays

I think every applicant when answers those essay questions while applying to a B School initially gets frustrated

Describe an ethical dillema. Describe a situation where you failed and learnt. Tell us how you are different.
These questions made me think...And somehow, I didn't like them initially. It was more of a burden that I wanted to get rid of.

But over a period of time, as I wrote my essays, I started enjoying the process of writing the essays. In simple words, I can state that I felt I started rediscovering myself . I think writing essays is an act of introspection. Whether you make it to a B school or not, the whole essays process makes you think about your life.At the end of it, the applicant realizes that he understands himself better.

What happens after you write those long essays?
You, in fact, are now very clear about your strengths and weakness. You can list down the instances/experiences in your life which have made you what you are now. Nah, Iam not exaggerating.Iam stating how I felt.
Until I started writing my essays, I was so busy with myself that hardly did I stop and think about the things that made me what Iam.
Tommorow, if someone gives me a negative feedback, I think I will be able to take it or rather understand it better and will improve on it.

At the beginning of the year,when i started this blog, I always thought that it was stupid for the B schools asking us to answer those long essays. Exams in India (CAT,XLRI) never ask one to write essays. Don't they? Then why do the other schools focus so much on them.!
Well, the stupid me now has the answers.I think the essays are an important part of the application. It not aids the admission department to make a decision but it also makes the applicant sum up his life till in a few words.

You must be wondering why on earth am I talking about essays now..Iam done with my essays for ISB and should be thinking about interviews now.Well, the reason is quite simple.I had a look at the Asian Institute of Management (AIM) application form today. And guess what ...they have a lot of essays which one is supposed to answer. Can you guess the number of essay questions...
Nah.Itz not 1 or 5 or 10 essays.

They have a set of 14 essays (one can be eliminated) that have to be answered.

I guess, answer all these questions and u'll be all set to write your biography.Writing essays takes a lot of your energy.Simply for the reason that you have to think hard and analyze ur own life. I have not started working on these essays but I think I'll start thinking about them for now.
It will help me for my ISB interview.

Here are the 14 essays.

a. Describe a major extra-curricular activity in college that you feel is very important to you. Explain why you consider it so.
b. Describe a major community activity that you feel is very important to you. Explain why you consider it so.
c. What recognition (distinctions, honors, awards, etc.) have you received in your academic, extra-curricular, business, community and
other activities?
d. Aside from the present and the last two organizations that you have worked for, what other work experience do you believe will
help you during your studies in AIM?
e. Describe your interests and hobbies.
f. Evaluate yourself as a person, discussing in order of importance, the personal characteristics you feel are your weaknesses.
g. Describe what you believe to be your three most substantial accomplishments and explain why you believe them to be such.
h. Describe a situation (in family, school business, community, etc.) where you felt you had some responsibility. Describe how
this situation developed you and what you have learned from such experience.
i. As briefly and explicitly as possible, explain why you would like to attend the MBA or MM Program.
j. Having decided to attend the MBA or MM Program, what steps have you taken to prepare yourself for the course?
k. Other than what you have already written, what do you believe will strengthen your application for admission?
l. What are your plans after graduating from AIM?
m. Rank, in order of importance, the reasons for choosing AIM
*Contacts for career development
*Presence of overseas participants
*Reputation
*Influenced or referred by colleagues
*Others (please specify)
n. Do you have any impairment or illness which might affect your academic progress or which would necessitate special housing
arrangements? If yes, please elaborate.


2 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Life is about managing for survival said...

"Whether you make it to a B school or not, the whole essays process makes you think about your life.At the end of it, the applicant realizes that he understands himself better. "
I liked your comments on the application process.I exactly agree with u and any applicant must be able to appreciate ur views.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger aliyaa said...

Here is a blog mba essay review service which surely helps you in your studies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home