Saturday, May 12, 2007

I was organizing the folders in my computer when I came across this piece that I wrote for self ( introspection) after the Stage 01 of the MBA program was over.Getting back to school after 06 years, adjusting to the North American Education system posed a new set of challenges.

I took time to settle in the MBA program and after the stage 01 exams were over, I sat down one evening and made a list of things I had to work upon and improve. Call these the lessons learnt or a proactive measure, I was glad that I did something like this.

Here it is ( this was written sometime in July 06):

When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power

Blunders I did in Stage 1 and don’t want to do in the next stage:

1. I did not do the pre-reading for some subjects. This was essential. As a result of this, I was lost in class during some discussions. It became really tough before the exams. Remember, the case studies should be looked at (at least a glance will do).

2. I did not file my papers correctly in the folder. I paid a hefty price for it towards the end as I spent a lot of energy organizing things. Staying organized is painful but helps in the long run.

3. Consolidation of notes. I took notes but then it was all in papers and the result was that I could not compile it or track it.

4. Avoid taking assignments towards the end. The earlier your assignments gets over, the better it is. Work on the assignments with all energy and enthusiasm.

5. Work on Fitness–Play some squash. This is not mandatory but then you’ll feel good and vent your feelings out. Get some good sleep. If the meetings are at 7 PM, catch an hour’s sleep.

6. Don't get tensed. The work load is hectic but keeping your calm is the key to your success. Some subjects will be tough. If you can keep your cool, half the battle is won!

7.A numerical based subject requires you to practice questions regularly. For Financial accounting and Management accounting, work out the numerical. Understanding the concept is not just enough.

8.Don’t compare yourself with others. It is easier said than done. Everyone has their own competitive advantage. You too have one and it will generate result at some time.

9. You now understand your team dynamics; you understand the MBAst program well. The teething problems are done. Make sure you get your best out in subsequently stage.!

10.Ensure that the points you make in the class are worth something. Don’t dominate the air-time in the class. Make a mental note of the number of questions vs quality questions you ask in the class.

11. Can you please keep your room clean?

12. Read the newspaper and keep a track of the articles. The key is to get your self disciplined.

13.Reviewing the course materials every time after the lecture would have made my preparation much easier

14. Please make a list of activities that you want to do and please DO them. Don’t delay. Speed, Efficiency and Time Management is the key.

Mistakes are a great educator when one is honest enough to admit them and willing to learn from them. Time is valuable…Realize that.All men make mistakes, but only wise men learn from their mistakes. All the best for Stage 2.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Manish Malik said...

You know something... Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home