Thursday, June 17, 2004

Strategy for GMAT.

Here is a strategy that I found on the BW forum.

Two Months prior to GMAT

-Bought all the prep books I could get my hands on. (Kaplan GMAT, Kaplan GMAT Verbal and Math Workbooks, Princeton Review GMAT, ARCO GMAT)

-Downloaded the POWERPREP Software

-Took one diagnostic test from each of the prep books as well as the first POWERPREP CAT

-Identified weak areas

-Read through of all the "strategy" portions of the prep books and started memorizing the random factoids required for success on the GMAT (Idioms, number properties/definitions, etc)

-Took at least one pen & paper practice test a week(saved the CAT tests for later)

-I devoted about five hrs/week to preps in this period. (1-2 hrs/day, 3-5 days/week)

One Month Prior to GMAT

-Started taking at least one CAT test per week(I had quite a few available--most of the companies either bundle CDs with their books or give you access to online tests)

-Continued memorizing random factoids

-Developed a general feel for timing on CAT tests (If your ego won't allow you to guess on early questions, be prepared to work and guess like a madman in the last 10 minutes of the CAT.) I tended to go very slowly in the beginning and shift into efficiency/speed mode in the last third of the test.

-I probably spent about 10-15 hrs/week in this period. Gave up a weekend or two.

One week prior to GMAT

-Crisis mode: spent 3-5 hours a day finishing every last practice problem available to me and reviewing all that I had learned in the past two months.

-Took the second POWERPREP test

-Reread the KAPLAN Verbal and Math Workbooks(lots of good factoids in both of them).

-Took a couple AWAs (I had usually skippped these in the preceding weeks.)

One day prior to GMAT/Day of GMAT

-stayed up late reading B-week discussion boards(scheduled an afternoon test)

-tossed and turned all night, feeling like I was back in high school getting ready to take my AP tests

-woke up before my alarm clock went off, hopped in the car.

-crammed idioms and number properties while riding the ferry across the Sound.

-Arrived about an hour early, had a small brunch, took the test.

Test center regs are pretty strict: apparently even putting a hand in your pocket during the test constitutes "cheating" and provides grounds for dismissal. They got the 1984-style video surveillance going on and the proctors will walk around looking at everyone significantly at half-hour intervals. So don't mess with the GMAT Nazis...

Anyhow, my goal was to score over 750 and I managed to accomplish it (thank god). I actually scored much better than I had on any of my practice tests, so don't read to much into low diagnostic scores--constant grinding away at those practice problems is the only way to go.

Staying at home on Friday nights like a monster freak toolbox loser worked for me, and it can for you too!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home