Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Course on the Golf Course
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

An MBA degree can get you the job ..but it is the game of golf that will get you promoted.!

Yes,one of the favorite game of the corporate world is being taught to various B schools.Read this article in the latest issue of Businessweek.

When I was in Bangalore (in 2000),a golf course was just a stone's throw away from my house.There were folks who suggested that I pick up the sport then.But,nah..I was a man who loved action..Golf was an old man's game for me! No sweat..No aggression.So,I prefered playing squash to golf.But I guess itz time for me to learn the basics of Golf.After all, I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself when I head to the golf course with my boss.

So,here are 5 reasons why you should learn Golf if you are an MBA student/prospective.

1.Networking:
Playing golf, a favorite pastime in corporate America, is one way to get to know and network with people outside of the office.

2.Play safe:
You don't want to make fool of yourself [on the golf course] in front of the boss someday

3.Showcasing your skills:
Members of the MBA Golf Assn. at the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas in Austin often invite recruiters to play a round of golf with students who are interested in their particular industry. "It gives students a chance to show their skills, and recruiters can use the time as a behavioral interview," says second-year student Michael Sedlak.

4.Get to know folks
A lot of B schools feel that conducting golf classes for MBA students is way of uniting groups that might not otherwise get to know each other -- from women to international students

5.Golf might help you achieve your goals.
Krannert School of Management at Purdue University has a guest speaker component, which brings successful businesspeople into the classroom to share stories about how golf has influenced their professional achievements.


And for keen observers, a round on the course is a great way to find out if a client or potential hire is on par with you.
So,listen you all B school prospectives and grads ,go ahead and learn the basics of this game before itz too late !.

The Queen's MBA Program offers golf lessons and has conducted a golf tournament in previous years.

5 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Thoughtcurry said...

Well "Golf is played by people with balls". Time to show yours ;-)

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Antimatter said...

Well, what can I say? I race cos all other sports require just one ball! ;)

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Antimatter said...

Well, IMHO, I think this is the exact kind of mentality that leads to a rat race.

I have always wanted to answer this question about golf and business and their mutual affinities.

well, no (more) comments till I actually 'educate' myself on the practicality.

little way aside, what do you think about my post on " Ethics and Power!" on My Blog, posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005. Would be interesting to get more viewpoints.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Indian Blogger said...

I wouldn't agree if you claim that such kind of mentality starts a rat race.Itz got to do more with awareness.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger aishah said...

Thank you for another essential blog. I have learned a lot from your blog. This blog shows that you have an amazing future as a content writer waiting for more updates. In this link https://www.resumewritingservice.biz/resume-writing-services-in-florida/ that gives more useful information in resume writing. I get new skills and ideas after referring that post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home